Mechanical Technologist- Junior/Intermediate
Reference # 2366
Neptec Design Group, recently acquired by MDA Canada, is an aerospace company that offers a diverse range of career and learning opportunities. A pioneer in the world of vision systems, Neptec designs, develops and builds mechanical, hardware, and software for space, defence and industrial automation industries. As a successful NASA Prime Contractor, Neptec’s reputation has been built on making things work in challenging environments. Major customers include NASA, the European Space Agency, Northrop Grumman, and the Canadian Space Agency. Projects run the gamut from developing embedded robotics-control systems for the Space Station, to integrating rover navigation sensors and software, to developing next-generation 3D LiDAR sensors for space applications. We are currently looking for a Mechanical Technologist to join our team in Kanata, ON.
The Mechanical Technologist provides support to engineering and manufacturing in the assembly, integration and test of products. Responsibilities include system installation, assembly, testing, troubleshooting, calibration, configuration, system and integration. The Technologist may also prepare drawings and supporting documents.
BASIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and prepare drawings, bills of materials, and technical documentation, prepare design sketches and 3D models, clarify, review and validate drawings, write specifications and complete drawing sets.
- Generate detailed designs and drawings, concepts, components, mechanisms, sub-assemblies, and packaging in both 2D and 3D.
- Develop production, assembly and parts list drawings.
- Resolve design/drawing issues as appropriate. Modify and revise documentation to reflect design changes and corrections.
- Ensure completeness of documentation for mechanical and electrical assemblies.
- Perform integration and testing activities on breadboard, prototype, engineering and production hardware and software.
- Integrate mechanical and optical sub-assemblies including bonding of optical mirrors and prisms.
- Perform alignment of optical sub-assemblies.
- Prepare engineering, prototype and/or demonstration systems for demonstration and/or delivery.
- Prepare, review and revise acceptance and checkout test procedures for deliverable hardware.
- Conducts acceptance and checkout procedures on deliverable hardware.
- Accompany first-off systems to customer site for delivery, set-up and customer familiarization.
- Perform general technical, engineering and lab duties as required.
- Perform CCA and cable assembly in order to build up test fixtures.
- Perform electrical harness testing including Hi Pot testing.
- Design and document test fixtures.
- Maintain records of all test data, inspections and daily activities.
- Collaborate with engineering disciplines, other technologists and assembly personnel.
- Responsible for setup, configuration and operation of thermal vacuum chamber and other equipment.
- Perform simulation and environmental testing.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education in Engineering Technology (mechanical).
- 2-5 years experience.
- Familiarity with mechanical assembly procedures and tools including; torque wrenches, 3D printers, basic metalworking tools, measuring instruments, etc.
- Familiarity with measurement instruments and tools such as theodolites and laser trackers.
- Knowledge and familiarity with a broad range of electrical lab and test equipment and tools such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, cameras, basic laser test equipment, PC’s, power supplies, etc.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary engineering/manufacturing environment.
- Proficient in MS Office, Excel (Macros), Word.
- Strong problem solving and data analysis skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with delicate material and devices including optical components.
- Able to obtain a Federal Government Security Clearance (minimum Secret Level II).
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU?
If so, please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the following reference number:
Neptec offers a competitive compensation package to commensurate with experience.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Neptec welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. In accordance with the guidelines established under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Let others know about this great opportunity: