Reference # 2370
Neptec Design Group is an aerospace company that offers a diverse range of career and learning opportunities. A pioneer in the world of vision systems, Neptec designs, develops and builds mechanical, hardware, and software for space, defence and industrial automation industries. As a successful NASA Prime Contractor, Neptec’s reputation has been built on making things work in challenging environments. Major customers include NASA, the European Space Agency, Orbital ATK, and the Canadian Space Agency. Projects run the gamut from developing embedded robotics-control systems for the Space Station, to integrating rover navigation sensors and software, to developing next-generation 3D LiDAR sensors for space applications. We are currently looking for an Optical Engineer to join our team in Kanata, ON.
At Neptec, the Optical Engineer designs, selects and integrates optical components, mounts, driving hardware and imaging feedback systems for laser and optical imaging systems developed by Neptec. Typical duties include but are not limited to the following:
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs optical systems and supports related assembly, integration, and testing activities,
- Reviews system specifications and develops optical system design to meet requirements,
- Selects appropriate optical components, lasers (wavelength, power) and positioning devices,
- Designs optical mirrors, lenses, mounts and assemblies,
- Performs engineering analyses and studies to validate designs and/or enhance performance, reduce size, and decrease cost,
- Documents designs and the results of engineering analysis and tests,
- Devise and execute test plans to validate optical modeling,
- Prepares Laser safety analysis compliant to ANSI Z136 and IEC 60825-1,
- Provides hands on assembly of laboratory optical test beds,
- Communicates with vendors to ensure that custom parts are made to specification,
- Liaison with project partners and suppliers and assist team members in running test beds,
- Provide support for prototype demos to potential partners/customers.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in optical engineering,
- Minimum 3 to 6 years of optical design and integration experience,
- Knowledge of materials for optical systems (mirrors, lenses, coatings, mounts, assemblies),
- Knowledge of optical system structural design, kinematic design, athermalization techniques and vibration control,
- Knowledge of linear, tilt and rotary adjustment mechanisms and nano-positioners,
- Knowledge of rotary actuators, galvanometers, steppers, encoders, air bearings and couplings,
- Excellent oral and written communications skills,
- Familiarity with laser safety standards for Class IIIa, IIIb and IV lasers,
- Strong team player with results oriented approach and high degree of self-motivation,
- Able to obtain a Federal Government Security Clearance (minimum Secret Level II).
- An aptitude for laboratory prototyping and testing activities,
- Experience in military, aerospace, and/or space industries,
- Proficiency with ZEMAX and TracePro,
- Experience in photonics and optoelectronics.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU?
If so, please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com quoting the following reference number:
Neptec offers a competitive compensation package to commensurate with experience.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Neptec welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. In accordance with the guidelines established under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Let others know about this great opportunity: